Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Overdosed on the Waltons

  Memorial Day was long so I fed my addiction.  Not what you think.  I never left the house.  Non stop Waltons were on the Hallmark Channel.  My vicarious family through the seventies,.  No brainer to figure out why this only child would love a familyof eight siblings plus grandma and grandpa and parents who loved each other.  

  I did do a load of wash on occasion to stretch my legs and feed my hungry cats, checked the email, paid some bills.  Since I gave up guilt for lent, I didn't have a twinge indulging my Walton marathon.

The day before David and Barbara barbecued in my back yard, hauling in all the burgers and fixings.  A wonderful  surprise to warm the cockles of my heart, whatever the heck cockles are. My other kids were up north and  the great grandkids were frolicing up in San Luis Obispo with their parents.

Holidays are fraught with memories, sweet and bittersweet.    Over the years, Des and I had picnics down at the Marina, our big brown van filled with food and family around to share the time.  That Van carried us across the country to his New York family nearly every couple of years.  Picnics back there took pl;ace by Zirkles' pond in Brocton.  In fact, Joyce told me that is exactly what they did yesterday.

Come to think of it, I married into a big family, not unlike the Waltons.  Des was the youngest of seven so I was enfolded into their warmth. His brotheer Dick, 13 years old, was a psuedo father to him Nieces still call me Aunt Ann.  They scattered to nearby small towns, - Ripley, Westfield, Brocton, Jamestown. and across the state line to Erie,Pensylvania.

Last Fall we held a graveside service for Des in Ripley, had a memorial celebration at niece Trudi's diner (Meeders) and and wound up at a picnic at one of the nephew's barn..

I am ending this on a Walton family goodnight. Good night everbody, especially Des.
So Says Sassy

No comments:

Post a Comment